Previous Blogs

22 February 2011

Received or Rejected?

[Brong Ahafo Region, Ghana] Tuesday morning in Ghana was filled with opportunity and opposition. I received an email from home informing me that Dr. David Ney, our project dentist, has a medication condition that will prevent him from coming to Ghana. He is suffering from a bulging disc in his back and his physician has prohibited him from air travel. While we pray for his recovery and are challenged by his correct decision to stay in NC we are in the midst of re-adjusting our on-field assignments for the next week of ministry here in Ghana. One thing we rest assured in is the fact that this news did not surprise God and He already has our schedule planned. God is able!

Our three ministry teams set out from our hotel around 8:00 and traveled out in different directions for our school ministries and the medical clinic venues. Jeff’s team traveled to a village area where they shared the gospel in four separate schools over the next couple of hours. My team ventured out about 35 miles to a heavily Muslim dominated community of farmers. Upon our arrival in this community we discovered more people than I ever remember seeing in one area in Ghana. We shared the gospel in 7 different schools to total crowds of over 6,000 students. All of the students listened with interest, and while most were Muslim, we saw well over 3,000 of the people pray to receive Jesus Christ! As we shared the Gospel many adults gathered around to hear what we were saying and I am delighted to report that many of them too indicated their decisions to receive salvation. We were able to place a Bible, New Testament, or Gospel of John into the hands of all who indicated their decision for Christ.

At the medical clinic, which was in the same area as my team’s ministry, several hundred people gathered and waited on treatment. Our American and Ghanaian team members shared the Gospel with the crowds with passion and conviction. Nearly every person in the “waiting room” was Muslim with several mosque leaders also in the crowd. When the offer of salvation was offered, some lifted their hands to indicate their decision to receive Christ, but most did not so indicate. However, as Pastor Sammy talked with many of the people, he received great news.

“I prayed to receive Jesus this morning,” one strong man in the community related, “but I did not lift my hand in the light of day. I know, should I raise my hand, my villagers will kill me,” he continued. “Tonight, I promise you, I will raise my hand in my house,” he told Sammy.

Such is the place in which we are working during this project. Muslims heavily dominate this area, and we have learned that few evangelicals are sharing the Gospel in these places. We have learned that the love of God is sufficient to penetrate the most hardened hearts and His Spirit continues to draw people unto Himself. Hallelujah! What a Savior.

No comments: